FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
November 6, 2014
Contact: Rachel Dellinger
KSO Director of Communications
Direct: 865-521-2317 Cell: 865-660-3037
Knoxville, TN – November 6, 2014 – The Knoxville Symphony Youth Orchestra Association (KSYOA) will open its 41st season with a FREE Fall Concert on Monday, November 10 at 7:00 p.m. at the Tennessee Theatre. All five youth orchestras in the Association will perform, including the top Youth Orchestra conducted by KSO Resident Conductor James Fellenbaum. This concert, sponsored by ORNL and UT Battelle, is free and open to the public. This is an excellent photo and video opportunity. No tickets are required.
This FREE concert will feature performances from all five of the orchestras in the Association: Preludium, Philharmonia, Sinfonia, Youth Chamber Orchestra and the Youth Orchestra.
- The concert will open with the Preludium Orchestra under the baton of Erin Archer featuring beginning string players who will perform Bob Phillips’ arrangement of Vivaldi’s Concerto in D and Gruselle’s Make a Joyful Noise: Joy to the World & Ode to Joy.
- The Philharmonia Orchestra, conducted by Nina Missaldine, includes string players with -limited orchestral experience. They will perform Sibelius’ Andante Festivo, Yamada’s Sakura, Sakura and Sieving’s Dos Fuegos.
- The Sinfonia Orchestra consists of string players with at least three years of instrument experience. Led by Association Manager Kathy Hart, they will take the stage with Khatchaturian’s famous Sabre Dance. They will also perform Forbes’ Dance of the Trolls, and the Impressario Overture by Mozart, arranged by Frackenpohl.
- The Youth Chamber Orchestra, which consists of intermediate string players, is under the direction of Dr. Wesley Baldwin, professor of cello at the University of Tennessee. These students will perform Molter’s Concerto No. 4 for Clarinet in D and String Orchestra, featuring soloist Victor Chavez (assistant professor of clarinet at the University of Tennessee) and two movements from Benjamin Britten’s Simple Symphony.
- The Association’s top group, the Knoxville Symphony Youth Orchestra, is a full symphonic orchestra led by Music Director James Fellenbaum. They will conclude the evening with Dvořák’s Carnival Overture and the fourth movement from his Symphony No. 9, ‘From the New World’.
The Knoxville Symphony Youth Orchestra Association is currently celebrating its 41st season. 303 students were selected by an audition process in August. In addition to weekly rehearsals, the students will perform four concerts throughout the 2014-2015 Season. All four performances take place at the Tennessee Theatre and are FREE and open to the public. The Knoxville Symphony Orchestra, Knoxville Symphony League and Knox County Schools sponsor the Association. For more information regarding the Knoxville Symphony Youth Orchestra Association, please visit www.knoxvillesymphony.com.