FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Oct. 12, 2015
For additional information,
Contact: Amanda Shell Jennings
There is only one event where you can meet Pocahontas, an *NSYNC member and the voice of Disney’s Goofy all in one day – the Fanboy Expo Knoxville. The Knoxville Convention Center is happy to host, once again, the region’s premier pop culture meet-and-greet and collectibles event Oct. 16-18.
“Fanboy Expo is always one of our favorite events of the year,” said Mary Bogert, general manager at the Knoxville Convention Center. “Every year, Fanboy continues to offer exciting pop culture icons and celebrities to regional audiences, and this year’s lineup doesn’t disappoint.”
Cult classic lovers and comic book aficionados will travel to Knoxville for the chance to meet their favorite celebrity actors and comic illustrators. The expo also will feature vendors selling comic books, toys and other fandom paraphernalia.
Celebrities will be available throughout the weekend to answer questions from fans, pose for pictures and sign photos and memorabilia. Some of the notable guests will include:
- Dick Van Dyke, best known for “Mary Poppins” and “The Dick Van Dyke Show,” hosting a special Skype session on Saturday.
- Joey Fatone, a member of the 1990s boy band *NSYNC.
- Irene Bedard, the voice and model for Disney’s “Pocahontas.”
- Julie Newmar, best known as Catwoman in the original 1960s Batman series.
- Bill Farmer, the voice of Disney’s Goofy, Pluto, Sylvester, Yosemite Sam and Foghorn Leghorn in “Space Jam.”
- Peter Tork, keyboardist and bass player for The Monkees.
- Ray Park, martial artist known for roles as Darth Maul in Stars Wars Episode I and Toad in X-Men.
- Chris Sarandon, best known as the voice of Jack Skellington in “The Nightmare Before Christmas” and as Prince Humperdinck in “The Princess Bride.”
- John Ratzenberger, best known as Cliff in “Cheers” and the voice of characters in “Toy Story,” “Cars” and “Monsters, Inc.”
- Allison Mack, known for longstanding role on CW’s “Smallville.”
- Ken Page, the voice of Oogie Boogie in “The Nightmare Before Christmas.”
- Cindy Morgan, best known for “Caddyshack” and Disney’s original “Tron.”
- Robin Shelby and Billy Bryan of “Ghostbusters” fame.
- Wrestlers Lex Luger, Ricky Steamboat and Joanie Laurer.
- Kristy Swanson, the original “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” in the 1992 cult classic.
- Jodi Lyn O’Keefe, television star of “Prison Break” and “The Vampire Diaries.”
- Steve Guttenberg, known for 1980s classic films “Police Academy” and “Three Men and a Baby.”
- Carrie Henn, best known as Newt in James Cameron’s “Aliens.”
- Leif Tilden, who played Donatello in the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle series.
- Numerous comic book industry professionals and tattoo artists.
Attendees will have the opportunity to be judged on cosplay, or costume play, of their favorite comic book, television series, movie or video game. Contestants’ costumes must be at least partially handmade and will be judged by professional or celebrity judges on Saturday, Oct. 17, at 1 p.m. Winners will be selected in different categories based on cosplay experience, ranging from beginner to professional levels. Children’s and group costuming categories are included. An overall male and female winner also will be selected.
The exhibition booths with comic books, movie props and other fandom paraphernalia will be open from 4 to 9 p.m. Friday; 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday; and 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday. General admission tickets are available online and for purchase at the door at $15-$25 for single-day pass; weekend pass, $50; general VIP weekend pass, $99; and super VIP weekend pass, $399.
This is the Fanboy Expo’s sixth event in Knoxville. The annual expo is held in two locations in the Southeast – Knoxville and Lakeland, Florida.
About the Knoxville Convention Center
The Knoxville Convention Center, managed by SMG, is located in downtown Knoxville adjacent to the Sunsphere. It boasts a 120,000-square-foot exhibit hall, a 27,000 square-foot divisible ballroom and up to 25 meeting rooms. For more information, visit http://www.knoxvilleconventioncenter.com.