For many Americans, fireworks are an essential part of the Fourth of July experience, but unfortunately the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic has resulted in many fireworks displays being canceled this year.
However, all is not lost! U.S. Cellular has compiled a list of virtual fireworks opportunities for the whole family to enjoy from the comfort and safety of home.
- Celebrate the 40th-anniversary presentation of A Capital Fourth at 8 p.m., Saturday, July 4 on PBS. This virtual event will feature “the greatest display of fireworks in the nation.” Learn more on PBS’s website.
- The United States Air Force Band, Washington Performing Arts and National Harbor have teamed up to present “A Tribute to the American Spirit” concert at 4 p.m. on Saturday, July 4. The livestream can be accessed on the National Harbor’s website and will include performances from the U.S Air Force Band, Joshua Bell, Solomon Howard and Larisa Martinez.
- This year, the National Archives will host a July 4th celebration on its Facebook page. Event highlights will include remarks by Archivist of the United States David S. Ferriero, educational and family-friendly activities and a reading ceremony hosted by journalist Soledad O’Brien.
To make sure your experience is top notch, U.S. Cellular offers the following tips to enhance streaming quality on your smartphones and connected devices:
- Make sure you have a strong Wi-Fi connection. Gather the family together to watch on one device so you can dedicate the bandwidth to your streaming.
- Move your Wi-Fi huband router to an optimal location. Find somewhere central, open and away from obstruction.
- Turn off notifications so you do not have any distractions coming in while the fireworks display is in action.
- Connect your smartphone to a Bluetooth speaker. This will allow for better sound quality.
- Cast or Screen Mirror to your smart TV. Both Android and iOS devices allow you to wirelessly share what’s on your smartphone to your smart TV allowing you to have a bigger screen to view the big bombs.
- Video chat with friends. Use your smartphone to connect with others and invite them for a virtual viewing party of the fireworks display.
- Stretch out your smart device’s battery life. Make sure you’re 100% charged up. For Android users, the option you need is in Settings, behind the Battery menu entry. Make sure Adaptive Battery is turned on and that Battery Saver is set to intelligently operate based on your routine. For iOS users, head to Settings, then Battery and enable Low Power Mode when you’re low on juice.
About U.S. Cellular
U.S. Cellular is the fourth-largest full-service wireless carrier in the United States, providing national network coverage and industry-leading innovations designed to elevate the customer experience. The Chicago-based carrier is building a stronger network with the latest 5G technology and offers a wide range of communication services that enhance consumers’ lives, increase the competitiveness of local businesses and improve the efficiency of government operations. To learn more about U.S. Cellular, visit one of its retail stores or www.uscellular.com. To get the latest news, promos and videos, connect with U.S. Cellular on Facebook.com/uscellular, Twitter.com/uscellular and YouTube.com/uscellularcorp.